As we complete the last days of school I would like to thank everyone who has made this such a successful year for the Mt. Pleasant School community.
Our students have had so many enriching learning experiences in and out of the classroom. Each day teachers engage students in classroom experiences that expands their knowledge base. To extend student learning teachers plan many outside activities. A few of these activities included:
- Students Kindergarten through 3rd grade went to the pumpkin patch, Chief Lelooska, and OMSI. Along with 4th through 8th grade they also went to the zoo.
- Students attended two plays, Goosebumps and Shrek.
- Our school garden continues to expand! A generous grant from Whole Foods allowed us to add an observation beehive to our school and a grant through the Washougal School Foundation funded plants for our pollinator. PTO sponsored an artist in residence for the entire school. Totem poles and decorative pieces for the garden were created. The greenhouse that blew away was replaced with a more permanent structure that adds to the aesthetics of the garden area.
- Intermediate students attended a Career Fair at the school and went on field trips to Clark PUD, Pearson Air Museum, Cascadia Tech School and the movie Hidden Figures to explore STEM careers.
- After school classes in Lego Robotics, Readers Theater, Tap, Math After School, Baton and T-time were offered to students.
- Middle school students put on a science fair and added a rain barrel water collection system, an irrigation system and a chicken coop to the school garden space.
- 4th through 8th grade traveled by train to Seattle to visit the aquarium, Space Needle and Ivars.
- All students participated in weekly swim lessons after spring break.
Our PTO provides a huge number volunteer hours in and out of the classroom. Along with the fall carnival, spring spaghetti dinner auction and other family activities PTO provides special lunches for all students, support for many of the above activities and a week of appreciation for the staff. We are grateful for this support and the time and energy they give to our school community!
All of this adds up to an unique and amazing school community that each person contributes to in some way. I am proud to be part of the Mt. Pleasant School community!
Next year brings just a bit of change to Mount Pleasant. Boyd Hemminger will become Deputy Superintendent at the school and work most days each week. I will be at the school one to two days a week. We have been transitioning this spring to this share leadership and believe it will add more consistency to the school community.
Have a wonderful summer and we are looking forward to next year! See you August 29th for our Back to School BBQ!